Michael’s First Fathers’ Day

Michael is a wonderful husband and father. He was already pretty amazing and then our daughter was born and I’m in awe of how natural he is as a father.

I really wanted something special for him for Father’s Day and I was already planning on making the Messenger Bag for him so decided to get my act together and make it for Father’s Day.

The vote came in at Star Wars being the appropriate nerd fabric to use on the bag. I ordered the storm trooper and Darth Vader fabric at Spoonflower and got plain black canvas at Spotlight. I chose blue quilting cotton for the lining and buckle flaps because it was an appropriate Star Wars colour. Of course, Spotlight brought out Star Wars themed fabrics the week before Father’s Day which would have saved me from having to order from Spoonflower but I guess that is life!

Once again, the cutting out took the longest time by far! Once all the cutting was done I had all the sewing finished in one night (after putting Baby Girl to bed, getting and eating dinner and before Baby Girl woke up for her next feed – so about 2.5 hours I guess).

IMG_0238.JPG

I added a little inscription to personalise it further.

IMG_0239.JPG

We gave it to him along with some books and framed photos of the little one and he has been using it since. Abigail thought it was very tasty!

IMG_0237.JPG

I am going to make him some matching accessories such as an iPad cover. I made one for his dad for the day but forgot to take photos!

Advertisements

Pyjamas for everyone!

I finished the pyjamas for my niece and for myself!

First of all, I’m really happy with the ones for my niece. I found the pattern really easy to follow and the fit was pretty much perfect. She seemed really happy with them – wearing them that night to a sleepover.

IMG_0229.JPG

By making a pair of pyjamas including a top meant that I learnt a few handy techniques which will come in handy in the future such as sewing a pocket, sewing a collar, buttons and buttonholes. I made a few mistakes in cutting them out initially – baby brain I think! Luckily I had enough fabric to cut out the back a second time and the interfacing for the collar which I had not cut on the fold.

IMG_0231.JPG

I have another pair for my other niece on order!

My pyjama pants were an opportunity to learn about sewing with knits and as an added bonus I learned how to add a yoke waistband and do ruching.

I think that the fabric may have been a little too stretchy for the pattern. I already made a size smaller than the sizing recommended on the pattern as it seemed too big but even then they are just a bit too loose. They are extremely comfy though and the fabric is so soft! My sister is therefore going to be the lucky recipient of these instead and I will make another pair either a size smaller or in different fabric.

IMG_0234.JPG

I wish I had these when I was pregnant. I will be making a few pairs next time around for sure!

I found the instructions fairly easy – except for the yoke and ruching bit which I had to start over as I folded it wrong the first time around. I don’t think they could have been too much clearer but eventually I experimented with some scraps and I wish I had done that initially so that I hadn’t wasted fabric.

I also did a rolled hem instead of a folded hem just for practice.

On both of these projects, the cutting out is really the time consuming thing. I wish there was a machine that could cut out my patterns… I will have to get my husband to invent one for me!